We are experts in building services.
Building services are the infrastructure that are required to make a building functional, comfortable, and safe for occupants. These systems can include electrical, plumbing, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), lighting, and fire safety systems, among others.
As building services engineers, we collaborate with architects to design these elements to provide safety, efficiency, comfort, and to have minimal impact on the environment. These decisions happen during the preliminary stages of the project as it strongly influences how the building utilises its environment and renewable technology to stay sustainable. Each building service is summarised below:
- Mechanical Service Design is the design of systems such as plumbing, elevators, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning).
- Electrical Service Design is the design of lighting, power, distribution board schematics, CCTV installation design and smoke alarms.
- Fire Service Design is the design of emergency lights, emergency management plans, fire alarm systems, fire doors, fire extinguishers, fire rating, hydrants and hose reel systems, smoke detection systems and sprinkler systems.
- Hydraulic Service Design is the design of hot and cold-water systems, gas services design ranging from natural gas to LPG, wastewater, and stormwater designs.
What to consider for Building Services Design
Several key considerations that go into designing effective building services include:
- Building Type and Use: Design should account for the type of building and its intended use. For example, a hospital will require a separate set of building services than an office building.
- Energy Efficiency: Design should be energy efficient. This can include the use of efficient HVAC systems, lighting systems, and renewable energy sources.
- Occupant Comfort: Design should ensure that occupants are comfortable. This can include the design of HVAC systems to provide optimal temperature and humidity levels, as well as the provision of adequate lighting.
- Safety: Design should ensure that occupants are safe in the event of an emergency. This can include the design of fire safety systems, as well as the provision of adequate ventilation and air filtration.
- Maintenance: Building services should be easy to maintain and repair. This can include the use of modular systems and components, as well as the provision of adequate access for maintenance personnel.
Why choose Neilly Davies for Building Services work?
- Neilly Davies has a wealth of experience in building services, having provided designs in a range of sectors including aged care, commercial, education, and health.
- Our design decisions are based on sustainable principles to ensure durability, energy efficiency, waste reduction, and water conservation.
- We are an independent engineering consultant dedicated to creating a solution that fits your requirements.
- We can manage the design, installation, and ongoing maintenance support to ensure that the building components work together.